Friday, March 23, 2007

A Month In.

Wow, one month has passed since I made my first post. I didn't even realize it when I signed in. I have been to a few new Cafes since the first post. First one is Hazel's Coffee in St. Joesph MO. Going in I had high expectations from hearing that they roast their own coffees. Sadly, Maytag and I were very, very disappointed. As you walk in, to the right is their giant commercial roaster, it looks rather nice. I ordered they typical double macchaito and a vanilla latte. First sign of terror was when she tried to correct me on the pronunciation of macchaito. Her version was (ma-cha-toe), the true pronunciation is (ma-ki-atto). Then I watched their "barista" make the drinks. This was also painful, he didn't tamp properly, and he made the macchaito in a 12oz cup more like a latte. The latte he made was done with the same lack of skill on the tamp. When it was done the latte was more like a gas station cappuccino then a latte. The macchaito was overly bitter, to the point where I couldn't even tell if the bitterness was due to over extraction (very possible due to poor tamp) or over roasting causing the beans to burn. Overall I give Hazel's Coffee a 1/5. Not an enjoyable experience. Maytag and I left mad.

The next few coffee houses we visited were in Kearney, Missouri. The first was The International Beanery. Cute name, nice location in Kearney just off the main drag. Nice set-up on the inside. I got a single shot of espresso and a cup of the blend that they had on drip. The espresso was ok, nothing special a little bitter probably due to an unskilled barista. The drip coffee was thin and woody, tasted more like Folgers than anything you'd expect at a coffee house. Not a bad experience at the Beanery, just nothing super fantastic. 2/5
The second coffee house we visited in Kearney was Mojo's Coffee, just off 92 hwy as you come into town. This is the prime example of a Mom and Pop Shop, (or a Sid and Nancy Shop). Owned by a husband and wife, the shop is very small a few tables and quite quaint. The barista who was on duty was the Pop of the shop. I ordered a double shot of espresso. It was good, not overly bitter, and left a very pleasant after-taste. He gave us the shots on the house since he was closing early when we were there. He was knowledgeable about coffee and very friendly and talkative. Overall 3/5.

Finally for this entry, we have Espresso Dell'Anatra at I-35 and Cheauteaux Twy. This place is in the middle of a shopping center just off I-35, inside its very nice. Leather chairs and a couch with a coffee table. They have tall tables and short table spread throughout the establishment. The bar is set up so you can watch the barista at work, everything is in plain view. They have a wide selection of teas, coffee, and accessories on a cabinet against one wall. They have a huge menu, from all the espresso classics to their house specialties. The barista on deck was Mike, very friendly and knowledgeable. First off I ordered a double macchaito, it was amazing. Very sweet and rich, with great chocolate undertones. The richness and sweetness comes from the Shatto Milk Co. Half and Half he uses to mark the espresso, superb. Then I ordered a vanilla latte, but was coaxed into trying a molasses latte. It too was excellent. Very sweet and rich, a nice signature seasonal drink. At first it smells as if it could be an alcoholic beverage, but when you sip it the taste is quite different. This has indeed been the best coffee house that I've found aside from the Roasterie. 5 out of 5 in my book. Great espresso, great barista, great layout and an overall great experience. I will most defiantly make sure to frequent this cafe more often.
Espresso Rip out.
Keep caffeinated.

No comments: